Thursday, March 17, 2011

“Where Have You Gone, Charming Billy?” Narrative

It was a dark night and I was walking with twenty six other men in a single line, being as quiet as a cricket so enemies couldn't hear us. Most of the soldiers in my platoon were exhausted from the long march, but were anxious to get to the sea where we would be safe and away from danger. It was my first day at the war and anxiety and fright was running through my body. I kept imagining myself back at home with my father, but when I opened my eyes I was back in the dark jungle risking my life. The men told me a story of how Billy Boy Watkins died of a heart attack. Fright took over me and I started laughing hysterically not because it was funny that Billy Boy Watkins died of a heart attack, but because I was afraid. I felt like I would never get use to being in the war and having to risk my life and live surrounded by thousands of miles of water that protected the men and I from enemies.

1 comment: